banner guys fish copy

Friday, March 28, 2008

homage




I can still remember many things in my childhood past. I can still remember my two grandmothers eventhough I was so little that time. I can remember their faces and the clothes they wore during the old days. I can still remember going with my mother in the market and sold different kinds of shoes( actually, she’d just let me lay down under the table while I ate fruits).. I can still remember that my father was a pioneer in making shoes in our place, I’d sat beside him while he drew styles of shoes.. I can still remember those rows and rows of different styles of shoes. ….shoemakers who’d worked until dawn, and the camarederie between them that made their work lighter. …..my eldest sister who struggled between her studies and making shoe patterns. I can still remember not going to bed and kept her company. I can still remember the smell of native coffee and hot pandesal (rounded salt bread) and basket full of hot fertilized duck egg……. etc. This is to pay homage partly to that memories of my childhood in the Philippines. I hope you can imagine those memories together with me because my illustration is very different. The 3 images in different colors are top view of pile of shoes(afterall, it was our bread and butter....) I was creating in my mind. The lines are what seems to be sticks of bamboo that was formed like a house wherein those memories happened.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mick said...

A beautiful memory here, Isay. The image is also wonderful and I like it very much. Funny, at first I saw the shoes as Madonna-like figures in pastel robes. :)

March 28, 2008 7:15 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

This is wonderful isay! You've brought another memory from childhood to life with the imagery of your words, as well as with your beautiful, symbolic illustration.

March 29, 2008 12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice! I like both your illo and writing....
bammboo shops in talipapa? is it this right word for market?
ciao

March 30, 2008 9:15 AM  
Blogger Ginger*:) said...

Those are beautiful memories to have. I like your new banner too!

April 03, 2008 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home