banner guys fish copy

Friday, April 13, 2007

Fortune


"When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes, I all alone beweep my outcast state, And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries, And look upon myself, and curse my fate, Wishing me like to one more rich in hope, Featured like him, like him with friends possess'd, Desiring this man's art and that man's scope, With what I most enjoy contented least; Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising, Haply I think on thee, and then my state, Like to the lark at break of day arising From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate; For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings That then I scorn to change my state with kings."---William Shakespeare(1564 - 1616)
Source: Sonnet 29

12 Comments:

Blogger bookbabie said...

Love the illo and the quote!

April 13, 2007 11:29 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Great job! have a good weekend!

April 13, 2007 1:44 PM  
Blogger Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Nicley done! Cool.

April 13, 2007 10:21 PM  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

Beautiful art and sonnet Marissa! Love the pix of you and your sis too!!!

April 14, 2007 9:58 AM  
Blogger ° said...

nice pic to match willies words

April 15, 2007 12:15 PM  
Blogger carla said...

This is introspective, just as the sonnet is. He wasn't happy with the way his carreer was going, but he took comfort in the one he loved. I really like the blue sky... it's full of hope and possibilities.

April 15, 2007 3:03 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I think this is my favorite yet. It's haunting and beautiful!

April 15, 2007 4:41 PM  
Blogger HARDWAX said...

Love your illustration here, and fits so well in Shakespear's sonnet.
Wonderful!

April 15, 2007 8:31 PM  
Blogger Michelle Lana said...

Wonderful work Isay!

April 16, 2007 8:07 AM  
Blogger Ian T. said...

Thanks for a meaningful and resonant interpretation of this subject. I actually thought I was going to do IF this week, as I thought it was "Freedom," but then came back and found it was "Fortune," which I don't really have an image for. Yours captures the sense of it really well. In a sense, this Sonnet is kind of the opposite of Max Ehrmann's wonderful Desiderata, a poem that I often come back to.

April 16, 2007 5:54 PM  
Blogger DINTOONS said...

very nice! good quote and thoughtful illustration... :)

April 18, 2007 1:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great illo! I like the spooky atmosphere you got in it...

April 18, 2007 2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home