banner guys fish copy

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Happy New Year!

I miss celebrating new year's eve back home in the Philippines. Maybe because it's so quiet where I am now. I miss the noise, the shouting , the laughters, the crying and some funny and not so funny jokes.....I remember having a hard time walking in the streets from early morning because, in every street they begin playing with firecrackers and canyons and the sounds become louder until it's 12 midnight-where they also light all the fireworks in the skies.

In my family, all of us (I have six siblings) celebrate new year's eve in our maternal home. We don't go so much with traditional food and anyone can bring foods that they wanted to share. And there's so much to choose from in the table. I like it when we have lechon de leche(little whole or head of pig roasted in either a big oven from a bakery or in a charcoal where a long bamboo stick is stucked in the pig's body) and salads of different kinds and soup made by mother. You can also find 7 different kinds of round fruits(we are so much into symbolic things whatever) . We also put a lot of coins in our pockets and jump at the same time, turn on all the lights, open all the windows-at the stroke of 12 midnight. After celebrating at home that it's either our neighbors come to our house or we all go and visit them to greet everybody.

There is also this very united neighborhood in a long street(it is closed for vehicles to pass by) and would decorate the whole street with different kinds of decorations hanging all the way from the beginning to the end. Every house will put up their tables and connect it with the next one and set up their foods for dinner and everybody share their food to everyone.

And about the illustration - I have made this some days ago in time for today's celebration. I was imagining myself when I was younger . After I have finished this- that I have asked myself why am I alone in the drawing-well everybody maybe out of sight in the scene because it's either I miss everybody or I cannot have everybody in the drawing and maybe I also don't want to commit the mistake of forgetting anyone. But hey, you are all in my heart wherever you all are.

Anyway, let's all welcome the year 2006 with lots of smiles and hope that it would be a much better year than what we have had in 2005.

7 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Happy New Year!

December 31, 2005 11:03 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

I love how you and your family celebrated the New Year. It sounds like so much fun! Thanks for sharing that.

Have a Happy New Year isay, filled with peace, joy and blessings.

December 31, 2005 11:37 PM  
Blogger isay said...

Happy New Year to both of you Caroline and Aravis!

Aravis-I have not seen your holiday entry to IF because I can only see your banner everytime I go to your site....I have tried sending you an e-mail message to inform you but it came back....

January 01, 2006 1:29 AM  
Blogger Autumn Storm said...

It does as Aravis said, sound just wonderful. And the illustration is equally so.
Morning, Isay.
Godt Nytaar, x

January 01, 2006 2:31 AM  
Blogger isay said...

god morgen autumn! the snow is melting but it has made me glad for sometime.

thanks and i hope you are having a nice day!

January 01, 2006 2:38 AM  
Blogger Ian T. said...

Wow, this is lovely! You're so organised - even doing a New Year's card (I didn't even get a Christmas one done). All the best for 2006!

January 01, 2006 5:10 AM  
Blogger flossy-p said...

What a wonderful scene, sounds like great fun. I especially love the bit about jumping up and down with coins in your pockets? Does that symbolise something particular?

Hope you have a fantastic 2006! Maybe this year you will get to see some of your family.

January 04, 2006 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home