banner guys fish copy

Friday, October 21, 2005

Remote - the real one!

First of all-thank you IF for changing the topic's font.

I have worked in Riyadh some years ago. It was a beautiful new hospital built by a company from England for one of the kings in the Middle East. We are more or less 20 filipinas that was included and have started working during the last month of the construction of the hospital. Actually, we stayed in a hotel during that last month since the accomodation was not also finished. I have worked with more or less 20 doctors from Europe in the beginning. I would say that it was built in a very remote area in the desert where there are very few houses far away from the main roads. The filipino accomodation for the singles was connected to the Hospital occupying the third and fourth floors. In front of the hospital was a private accomodation for the doctors and their families, and that was the only view that I can see from my living room and bedroom windows. If you look at the four sides of the hospital-it was a vast area of barren desert. That is why it was always a treat to avail of the bus trips goin to the city and see those big wonderful lights and beautiful malls and houses made of marbles and glass after work. I had only very few pictures of the hospital mostly inside but never outside because it was forbidden. Here, is my boring but I hope not so boring illustration and as remote as it was in real life.


9 Comments:

Blogger Ange said...

A hospital in a middle of the dessert - that's remote. I like the girl looking outside the window. She looks forlorn. The pink textured background gives your illo a remote feel.

October 21, 2005 5:02 PM  
Blogger carla said...

This defintely gives the feeling of isolation and remoteness! I like it! I took a look through some of your sketches; they're lovely, Isay! For fun, you could play around with them in photoshop and add color...just to see what you could do. I like doing that with drawings...sometimes the results are great and sometimes they're not, but it is always an enjoyable exercise.

hey...it doesn't look like you've been tagged! Is that possible? Can I tag you? I know you tell us a lot about yourself, but there's something fun about reading a list. Okay...prepare yourself....

Tag ... you're it! I'm adding you to my list!

October 21, 2005 6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a moive and mesterious events yet to be un folded.

If you care, I learned about your site from: http://fitaihi.com/news/blogs.php

October 21, 2005 8:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you definitely made her look remote.

October 22, 2005 6:35 AM  
Blogger Mick said...

One of your best illustrations yet, Isay. Could it be that the personal story of Riyadh, the hospital and the desert had an effect? I love this one. :)

October 22, 2005 6:28 PM  
Blogger TheTart said...

Very creative. The story was an added bonus.

October 23, 2005 8:12 PM  
Blogger Aravis said...

This is wonderful isay. I so enjoy your memories and stories! I love the way the window and girl seem to float in the middle of the illustration. Great illustration!

October 24, 2005 12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've led such an interesting life! i'm wondering though, why is there a hospital in the desert? it's a sweet illo, evoking your longing to see more than sand.
cheers,
kerry

October 24, 2005 4:10 AM  
Blogger isay said...

thanks to all of you.

October 27, 2005 2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home