banner guys fish copy

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Many Happy Returns

It would be the love of my life’s birthday tomorrow and here I am-’got lots of things to do in the house later but I’m having a bad sore throat and feeling sleepy. I can’t sleep well in the night and even during the day if I have the time…..

My husband was brought up in a nice traditional way of celebrating birthdays and - combined with the tradition we have back home, it is fun!. First of all a big flag is raised in a high pole in front of the house or garden. The celebration begins in the breakfast table with all the hanging paper decorations, flags on the table with newly baked croissants, breakfast cakes, and little gifts that was chosen from the wishlist. I would do cut letterings of greetings and flowers, boat etc., out of colored papers and paste it on the wall. The big celebration is during dinnertime where all the family members are invited to a wonderful treat of the celebrants’ choice of food. There was a time he asked for a grilled duck stuffed with prunes and apples. There was small potatoes fried in sugar and butter, boiled red cabbage in sugar and vegetables salad. My in laws brought a homemade apple jelly .We drink red wine and sodas for the children. (In the Philippines, you can always find a spaghetti or fried noodles with vegetables in the menu, which symbolizes our wishes for a long life....). After dinner, we gather in the living room and we eat the traditional layered cake together with other little munchies and drink tea or coffee. Last part would be the opening of the gifts. I asked him today about the gift he wanted me to give him, and he kissed me first before he whispered it in my ear thinking I might tell it to you guys! shhhh....Secret *LOL*

4 Comments:

Blogger Aravis said...

Happy birthday to your husband. Have a wonderful day, and I hope you feel better! :0)

September 22, 2005 11:09 AM  
Blogger isay said...

thank you and have a nice day to you, too!

September 22, 2005 9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your birthday celebration sounds like a wonderful tribute to life. I enjoyed reading it and thank you for sharing such a personal and beautiful tradition.

September 24, 2005 4:32 AM  
Blogger isay said...

thank you ginger. we had a nice comfortable and lively celebration. His father found his baby shoe and wrapped it as one of his gifts.

September 25, 2005 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home