banner guys fish copy

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Like a thief in the night


This is a true story about a young man in his mid-twenties who came to seek for a job as a cleaner at my father’s doorsteps one day. He just arrived from the province and also has no place to stay. My father being a kindhearted person as he was and knew that he needed an assistant cleaner - hired him.

My father was a small shoe manufacturer at that time and his business place occupied the whole of first floor of a some kind of a three story building. The first floor have big glass windows with screen that were always open in the day so that the workers can breathe fresh air. The second and third floor served as our house. There were still few houses during that time in our area and, in front of ouir house was a huge fields where we fly kites in the summer. We can also see the view of the mountains which was very beautiful during a summer day or in the night where there were lots of stars. There were also a time that the fields was full of tall grasses and bushes that the fields was not passable.

And going back to the young man (whose name I cannot remember now but starts with a letter P) had proven himself as hardworking, honest and kind - that my father entrusted him the key to the working area where his bedroom was also located. Day goes in an out until one day, my father and my brothers got worried because he has changed and became very quiet and seemed to be always daydreaming or talking to himself. My father asked him one day if he has any problem, and he answered and told my father that there was this beautiful white lady who visited him after midnight and made love with him. My father was surprised and asked him why she has to come in the middle of the night and, why he has not introduced her to us. He said that she told him that she lives in a far away place and no one knows about it. He also said that she will just appear from the tall grasses and bushes just after midnight and he would see her right away because there was light in her body or it might be because she was always wearing beautiful gown and mostly white. That time, my father and my brother decided to spy on him and see what was happening to him after midnight. They waited and waited but no one came but they have observed that something was happening to him while he was sleeping. He talks a lot in his sleep and was restless and would also moan a lot. The next day my father accompanied him to a doctor but they did not find anything wrong with him. He also took him to a priest to be blessed. They also went to a quack doctor who used a melted candle and soaked in a bowl of water to find out if somebody was bothering him. A body of a woman was formed out of the candle surprisingly. My father not being a believer of sort was shocked. The quack doctor said he can make her go away if he likes, but the young man begged not to do it and said she brings no evil to anyone but was just in love with him and as he was to her. My family decided that we let him be because it might be that it was only in his imagination. Time goes by and one day, he told my father that she was ready to take him with her in their kingdom. My father said, I just hope you know what you are doing because I am responsible of you in case somebody comes looking for you. He answered back and told my father that he was an orphan and no one can take the happiness he was feeling that time. He also thanked my father for all his understanding and that he should be rest assured that it was a beautiful place he was going. My father just said he was only concern about him but had forgotten about their conversation. One morning, we did not find him anymore in his bed and all his things was just there untouched. We did not cut the grass and bushes and waited for a long time for him to come back but he never did.

I suddenly remembered him the other day, while I was thinking of my family in my homeland. You see, sometimes loves comes just like a thief in the night. Wherever he is right now. I hope he is happy and have found his true love.
I made both drawings using Photoshop.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story!! And your painting that accompanies it is terrific. I was really caught up in your writing. Beautifully told, beautifully illustrated.

Pat
http://pat.typepad.com/just_pat

September 29, 2005 6:24 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

This is an incredible and beautiful story! I, too, hope he found happiness with her, wherever they are.

September 29, 2005 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isay, this is magical. You give me chills with the beauty of the painting and the poiniancy of the tale. I wonder what it would be like if the best and most beautiful dreams could come true.

September 29, 2005 2:39 PM  
Blogger Ian T. said...

That's some story! Fascinating! My only reservation about the picture is the way the hill touches her head. There's probably a straight psychological reading of this story that would make sense (in that the young man evidently was working to resolve some issues), but it's a lovely story just as it is...

September 29, 2005 6:55 PM  
Blogger isay said...

thanks pat, aravis and ginger-my being far away from them have me remember the times i was still with them....

you are righ about the head almost touching the hill. i knew something is wrong with it and i am so happy you have noticed it. i have tried my best to correct it and satisfy myself, too. thanks!

September 30, 2005 3:44 AM  
Blogger Ian T. said...

Isay, thanks, I feel guilty for commenting - I truly didn't expect you to change anything, but I looked again and I do like it better this way. Great picture - really moody - suits the story.

September 30, 2005 6:16 AM  
Blogger isay said...

don't feel guilty because, you are right about it. you see, i make revisions and other versions of my work most of the time. i am also working on making the mountains look like it is very far....

please feel better.

September 30, 2005 7:04 AM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh said...

ohh creepy actually.. not in a negative way tho ..but cant deny how its enchantingly creepy.

i am a skeptic to the quack doctors here too.. but hmm.. they are, as a practice here, the last person anyone who looks bothered would ran to anyway. esp when medical science finds nothing wrong.

and ooh.. guys with names start with P.. ... .. *sigh*

lol ;p

September 30, 2005 9:38 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

What a story! It really grabbed me. Now, I wonder too, what might have happened to him.

October 18, 2005 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home