banner guys fish copy

Friday, July 08, 2005

Metropolitan


I have been drawing almost every day and this one, I just finished it yesterday and i thought it would fit with the topic hence my story is about living in the Metropolis.

I was born and grew up in one of the cities comprising Metro Manila in the Philippines. Metro Manila is home to roughly 20 percent of the country's more than 80 million Filipinos. I have lots of sad, happy and exciting memories living in the city with lots of people surrounded by lots of houses and establishments like big malls and restaurants, transportation - like bicycles, tricycles, jeepneys, busses, private vehicles and some years ago the metro train. I was used to hearing lots of different kind of noises just by opening the front door of our house.

One experience that I cannot forget is about a typhoon that was named "Yoling". She possessed a mighty wind and non-stop downpour of rain. Some of the water dam in Metro Manila collapsed that made most areas flooded. Our house is a two floor made not of concrete but wood. That morning, the water went up right away and when it was already one meter high, my parents decided that we moved to a concrete house nearby (it was the house of a relative who's an engineer, and have built his own house which have been tested having been through a lot of disasters....)especially that we don't know when it'll stop. There was no electricity and my father was afraid our tin roof will be flying also just like our neighbors. We ran by two's but, we had to passed by a three floor concrete abandoned building before we reached the house. Together with my cousin we started running but the wind took us both and I hit the wall of the building. My cousin who was thrown almost near the house waved at me and started running again. I did not waste anymore time and ran after her, and lucky me because just after I left, the building collapsed. I almost did when I saw it. Very terrifying experience. An experience like that is something we cannot get used to eventhough a strong typhoon is very frequent in our country. We just have to be prepared and always ready with all the options we can think of. Now, that I am living in a country with extreme weather condition, that I am still alarm by heavy rain and blowing wind that I thought a hurricane is coming. We have lots of trees around the house and the noise it creates during windy days reminds me of the strong typhoons we had.

Posted by Picasa

29 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

That's so scary! I'm glad you survived the storm. It must have been very scary for you, esp. as a child. And you're right, the best way of protecting your self is being prepared. :)

July 08, 2005 8:31 AM  
Blogger steve said...

I luv the flying leaves and rain drops in the background, Isay! I also noticed the bottom part of the illustration is a filter in a selected area, nice ! Looks like an exhilerating run back then, though frightening.
Seems like the spirits of luck were with you, hope they continue to follow you from now on !
:-)

July 08, 2005 8:42 AM  
Blogger isay said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 08, 2005 8:51 AM  
Blogger isay said...

thank you emily! i thought i was already in high school and then i started counting and i realized i was in grade school.


steve, i have drawn the girl first and then scanned it and used the lasso tool to put it in a picture of a sky, used the tools in photoshop and for the bottom line i used ocean ripple to make it more real.

have a nice day both of you!

July 08, 2005 10:25 AM  
Blogger Veronica said...

Very original, as always! I really like your interpretations!
Thank for comenting on mine!
<333

July 08, 2005 10:34 AM  
Blogger knottydon said...

Hmmm... nice to know that there's a fellow Filipino here ;o) I can't remember "Yoling" anymore but I've had my share of bad weather.

July 08, 2005 10:38 AM  
Blogger isay said...

many times it's the depth and width of our imaginations veronica, have a nice day!

i have been visiting your blog and even left some messages.... you can be my younger brother knottydon!

July 08, 2005 11:10 AM  
Blogger Aravis said...

It's a wonderful illustration, isay. So creative with lots to look at!

I really enjoyed your story of the typhoon. Amazing! Glad you weren't hurt. :0)

July 08, 2005 1:42 PM  
Blogger isay said...

i really appreciate your comments. i am inspired by your writing that many of the memories in my past keeps coming back....and i am still in the process of honing my skills in drawing.

July 08, 2005 2:28 PM  
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

That was a great story & drawing- sort of an inverse "7 Year Itch" shot :)

July 08, 2005 3:59 PM  
Blogger isay said...

nice to hear you liked it tony!

muchos gracias fher!

have a nice weekend both of you!

July 08, 2005 5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...that's scary as all get out! around here, i've been trying to convince people for ages to do fire drills and emergency preparedness, but nobody's willing cuz we don't have the nasty weather you've experienced. i'm hoping to get at least one drill in before we get that big earthquake here that we've been warned for years was coming!
cheers,
kerry

July 08, 2005 6:00 PM  
Blogger isay said...

we hope you'll not get that big earthquake but i wish you good luck for that drill kerry!

July 09, 2005 12:57 AM  
Blogger Anonymous said...

I'm also scared ... can feel the fear you had Isay. I'm glad you didn't hit the wall too hard and moved out of the way just in time. It is very well recorded in your image :)

July 09, 2005 1:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like your Illo.. the image next to it is great as well. :O)

July 09, 2005 5:43 AM  
Blogger Alison Ashwell said...

great story to go with the topic - excellent

July 09, 2005 8:18 AM  
Blogger isay said...

thanks anonymous, rebecca and allson! i hope you are having a nice weekend!

July 09, 2005 3:23 PM  
Blogger atomicvelvetsigh said...

ohh sad story.. i do hope you didnt had a trauma after that that would turn you to phobic with rain and such. well, currently tho no big thyphoons such as those come lately. well just hope none in the near future too..

oh, and nice illo! hehe.. still us 3 pinoys.. at IF. hi knotty!

July 10, 2005 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i found ur story really moving, here i´v never suffer something like that...however i wish u r fine right now, my best wishes for u =) Ahhh and i like ur illo =)))

Bana
http://larvayyo.blogspot.com

July 10, 2005 11:07 AM  
Blogger isay said...

hi atomicvelvetsigh!---the part if i had bruises or trauma-that one i cannot remember anymore *LOL*. i am not sure but i think the one in object and pixels is pinoy....

July 10, 2005 11:12 AM  
Blogger paige said...

I can't even imagine how scary that must have been for you. I'm so glad you and your family got away safely. Your illo is wonderful too.

July 10, 2005 1:44 PM  
Blogger isay said...

Bana-thanks for your comment. i tried looking at your site but can't find it. i hope you'll me know.

July 10, 2005 1:47 PM  
Blogger steve said...

The ocean ripple filter in Photoshop is still a difficult tool for me to use, I'll try using it again one day.
I hope you have a nice day too!
:-)

July 11, 2005 2:13 PM  
Blogger isay said...

steve,sori! i have forgotten to post the larger version of the bottom line.

July 12, 2005 1:59 AM  
Blogger Grangry said...

Isay, that' a nice illustration and a very haunting story.

July 13, 2005 2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice illustration, Isay! I love the girl's hair - you really get a sense of movement there. She's really running fast! :o)

I enjoyed your story, too. That was a close call for you!! Where I am we get bad hurricanes every now and then, but not as bad as what you described. That sounds scary!

July 15, 2005 10:05 AM  
Blogger isay said...

thanks to all of you!

July 15, 2005 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great image! it's quite beautiful... Thank you for sharing.

July 17, 2005 11:47 PM  
Blogger isay said...

thank you again!

July 19, 2005 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home